5/19/2009

Auction Time

I haven't been to an auction in awhile but like everything about them. I like signing up for my bidder number, and perusing the tables, digging into the boxes, examining antiques and marveling at the beauty of old things. I like getting coffee and a gooey roll that I rarely allow myself anyplace else. My ears are open to conversations around me. I really do want to learn about antiques and the experts in our area are there. They generally keep their mouths shut. I can see their point, why give up your secrets and add competitive bidders? But others who are pretty smart are glad to tell you everything they know and more. There are, in my observation, 3 types of attendees. Those who congregate in the first 2 rows, the regulars, and the one's who stand behind the chairs, who are regulars (and share their knowledge) and the rest who seem to be irregular visitors. They are afraid to bid at first (like me).

I'm usually outbid. I'll spot maybe 3 things I really really want, but am not smart enough to know the items will go for 3-4 times my limit. It's ok. I always get a few things I'm happy with. It takes a couple hours for my adrenaline to settle, then I'm hungry for lunch. I always get soda and a coney and add everything on top including chopped onions. After lunch the heat of the day blooms. But people don't leave, they sit redfaced, backs wet and watch. The regulars in the front by now have boxes and boxes piled around their chairs.

Actually my favorite part of the auction is at the end, when they sell the rows of miscellaneous in boxes. I once bought 12 boxes, for about $3 apiece.

They really are full of useful things. Letter openers, keychains, razor blades, SOS pads, furniture polish, pot holders, jars of screws and nails, recipe books, fondue pot, perfumes, mirrors, rolls of shelf paper, can opener, incense burner & incense, wind chimes, sewing box stuffed full, bowling trophies, business envelopes, Christmas stuff, Matchbox cars, soldering iron, snack trays, electric skillet, box of paraffin, toothpick holder collection, light bulbs, ashtrays, can of WD-40, Elmer's glue, stapler, Tupperware Popsicle maker, Rosary, magnifying glass, Kodak camera, paint brushes, empty picture frames, trivets, magic markers, travel checkers game, Kleenex tissue holder, trowel, back scratcher from Florida, Dr Scholl's inserts (never been opened), dog leash and flashcubes. I love sorting through it, sharing with friends, keeping what I like and storing what I 'might need' later.

No comments: