7/05/2009

Honeybees

I spent a lovely afternoon at Lowes this past Friday. My list was short:
wood-
frame
bed
toluene

I got sidetracked in flooring, ceramic tile, sweepers, doors, etc. I also love paint departments and all those free color chips. Sometimes I stand and flip through the giant hanging rugs, but skipped it this time. Anyway, I saw what I wanted to see and saved the plant department for last. I looked at what was left of their trees. Then came the perennials, and what made me stop cold was a huge table full of a variety of Salvia with tall purple flowering spears. There were hundreds of honeybees on them. There were so many there was a low drone of buzzing. I did not see bees on any other plants. But they were sure loving that Salvia.

Just this year I've seen a couple on clover in our yard and was pretty excited, since I'd thought they were about gone in the area. Maybe they weren't the same type of bee from years ago, but they looked the same. I hope the bees are coming back.

No comments: