4/23/2014

Steak Knife Horror

I'm hunting for a 2nd carbon steel knife to buy on the internet and ran across this set, identical to a set my family used probably since the 1950's. The blade is very thin and cuts tomatoes and steak proficiently. I'd forgotten about them until now. But the picture reminded me of a story.

I had been a nurse only a short time and had very little experience with the odd accidents that roll thru an emergency room. One afternoon a group of 5-6 young college students from a nearby dorm walked in and headed to the ER window to sign in. The fellow in front explained that no crime had been committed, and that he was fine, but maybe he should be checked. He said they had all been messing around and he'd accidentally been stabbed with a knife, which he then laid on the counter to show me. It was identical to one of those knives our family had used for the past 25 years. They were all nervously laughing which quelled any alarm in me. I asked where the injury was and he pulled up his shirt to reveal a tiny red mark on his abdomen. There was no blood.

We got him into a room and the ER intern poked a six inch long cotton tipped applicator (like a Q-tip only longer) into the wound. That sucker went straight in deeper and deeper and I knew then the knife had entered his abdominal cavity. Off to OR he went for exploratory surgery. I never heard the outcome, and I hoped he recovered without incident.

No comments: